Appendix G: Acceptable Identification Documents List

Any person applying for a new or duplicate driver’s license or identification card is required to submit one primary and one secondary document from the following list. A primary document must contain the full name and date of birth and must be verifiable, i.e., you must be able to contact the issuing agency to determine authenticity of the document.

Primary Documents

  1. Photo driver’s license. Cannot be expired more than one year.
  2. State-issued photo ID card. Cannot be expired more than one year.
  3. Certified copy of driver’s license or ID card. DL/ID cannot be expired more than one year.
  4. Certificate of Birth (U.S. or Canadian issued). Must be original or certified copy, have a raised seal and be issued by the Bureau of Vital Statistics or State Board of Health. Hospital issued certificates are not acceptable.
  5. INS documents, as follows:

    • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570, or N-578)
    • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560, N-561, or N-645)
    • Northern Mariana Card (I-551)
    • American Indian Card (I-551)
    • U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-179, or I-197)
    • Resident Alien Card (I-151, I-551, AR-3, AR-3A, or AR-103)
    • Temporary Resident Identification Card (K-688)
    • Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card (I-185 or I-586)
    • Record of Arrival and Departure (in a valid Foreign Passport) (I-94, or I-94W visa waiver program)
    • Record of Arrival and Departure w/attached photo stamped “Temporary Proof of Lawful Permanent Resident” (I-94)
    • Processed for I-551 stamp (in a valid Foreign Passport)
    • Permanent Resident Reentry Permit (I-327)
    • Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
    • Record of Arrival and Departure (in a Certificate of Identity) (I-94)
    • Employment Authorization Card (I-688A, I-688B, I-766)
    • Record of Arrival and Departure Stamped “Refugee,” “Parole, Parolee” or “Asylee” (I-94)
    • Record of Arrival and Departure coded Section 207 (Refugee), Section 208 (Asylum), Section 209 (Refugees), Section 212(d)(5) (Parolee), HP (Humanitarian Parolee), or PIP (Public Interest Parolee) (I-94)
  6. Court order. Must contain full name, date of birth and court seal. Examples include adoption document, name change document, [etc.] Gender change document. Does not include abstract of criminal or civil conviction.
  7. Military ID 53
  8. Valid passport, U.S. or Canadian. If foreign, appropriate INS document is also required.
  9. State-issued photo learner’s permit. Out-of-state issued permit is NOT acceptable. Cannot be expired more than one year. A learner’s permit without a photo is not acceptable unless accompanied by a primary document.
  10. Canadian Department of Indian Affairs issued ID card. Tribal issued card is not acceptable. U.S. issued Department of Indian Affairs card is not acceptable.

Secondary Documents

  1. All primary documents
  2. Bureau of Indian Affairs Card/Indian Treaty Card. Tribal ID card is NOT acceptable.
  3. Driver’s license/ID card, expired more than one year
  4. Court order that does not contain the applicant’s date of birth
  5.  Employer ID Card
  6. Foreign birth certificate. Must be translated by approved translator.
  7. Health Insurance Card, i.e., Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Kaiser, HMO.
  8. IRS/State tax forms. W-2 is NOT acceptable.
  9. Marriage Certificate/License
  10. Medical records from doctor/hospital
  11. Military Dependent ID
  12. Military Discharge/Separation papers
  13. Parent/Guardian affidavit. Parent/guardian must appear in person, prove his/her identity and submit a certified/notarized affidavit regarding the child’s identity. Applies only to minors.
  14. Gun permit
  15. Pilot’s license
  16. School record/transcript. Must be certified.
  17. Social Security Card. Metal card is NOT acceptable.
  18. Social Insurance Card (for Canadian residents only)
  19. Student ID Card. Must contain photo.
  20. Vehicle title. Vehicle registration NOT acceptable.
  21. Voter Registration Card
  22. Welfare Card
  23. Prison release document. Additional documentation may be required at the jurisdiction’s discretion, if documentation submitted is questionable or if the issuing agency has reason to believe the person is not who s/he claims to be.