A salvage vehicle is a vehicle:
- That has sustained sudden damage, capable of being safely repaired, to the extent the vehicle:
- is declared a total loss by an insurance company; or
- repairs exceed 75% of the value of the vehicle immediately before the damage occurred; or
- has damage to the body, unibody, or frame to the extent it is unsafe for operation.
- That is obtained as a source of parts or for the purpose of scrapping or dismantling.
A junk vehicle is a vehicle:
- That is damaged or wrecked to the extent that it cannot be repaired for operation on a public road; or
- That is only of value as a source of parts or scrap metal; or
- That is flood damaged.
AAMVA has developed a Salvage and Junk Vehicle Best Practice that includes recommendations for jurisdictions on branding and handling salvage, rebuilt salvage, junk, and flood-damaged vehicles.
An abandoned vehicle is an unclaimed vehicle on private or public property. The processing of vehicle titles for abandoned and mechanic’s lien vehicles by motor vehicle agencies (MVAs) is an important responsibility, but unfortunately it can be taken advantage of by individuals seeking to obtain financial benefits by deception. These vehicles can be nuisances to communities and consume considerable resources by those seeking to dispose of them. They may also contain undisclosed prior damage which places future purchasers at increased risk for their safety when operating these vehicles. It’s important for jurisdictions to have processes and procedures in place that allow these vehicles to be disposed of in an efficient manner but that also deter fraudulent activity.
- AAMVA On: Flood Cars Video (February 2023)
- Best Practices for the Prevention of Abandoned Vehicle and Mechanic's Lien Fraud (March 2020)
- Salvage and Junk Vehicle Best Practice (December 2019)
- NMVTIS Best Practices for Title and Registration Program Managers, Edition 4 (November 2018)
Below is a list of recently added items related to this topic. At the bottom of the page is a button that will take you to our search results page, where you can find additional items as well as filters to customize your search for content.