Staff Project Manager
The Automated Vehicle Subcommittee works with jurisdiction members, law enforcement, federal agencies, and other stakeholders to gather, organize, and share information with the AAMVA community related to the development, design, testing, use, and regulation of autonomous vehicles and other emerging vehicle technology. Based on the group’s research, a best practices guide has been developed to assist member jurisdictions in regulating automated vehicles and testing the drivers who operate them.
- Provide awareness to the AAMVA community about the evolution of vehicles that can be operated with less human interaction than currently required
- Provide guidance to jurisdictions on legislation permitting operation of vehicles equipped with automated driving systems (ADS)
- Provide awareness of capabilities of technology as it emerges and guidance for jurisdictions to develop short and long range plans for such technology
The Automated Vehicles Subcommittee has developed the following resources:
- Automated Delivery Vehicles and Devices Whitepaper (May 2021)
- Distracted Driving Education Legislation and Enforcement Whitepaper (January 2021)
- Safe Testing and Deployment of Vehicles Equipped with Automated Driving Systems Guidelines, Edition 2 (September 2020)
- Guidelines for Testing Drivers in Vehicles with Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (August 2019)
For a list of members who are currently serving on the Automated Vehicles Subcommittee, please visit the members-only directory.
For more information about the Automated Vehicles Subcommittee and its activities, please contact the staff project manager below.